• Decrease font size
  • Increase font size
  • Print Page
  • Print to PDF


Do you need a check?

If you are in child-related work you are required to have a Working With Children Check. To find out whether your work qualifies as child-related, see Who needs the Check?

Please note that a student over 18 on a professional placement in the course of a student clinical placement in a hospital or other health service is not considered to be in child-related work and does not require a Check.

Some volunteers in child-related work may be exempt from the requirement to obtain a Working With Children Check. See Exemptions.

How to apply


Volunteers and students on professional placement do not pay for the Working With Children Check. If you begin paid work, you will have a maximum of 30 days from the date you receive your first pay to upgrade to a Check for paid workers. A volunteer Check is not valid for paid work. 

Getting the results

Find out more about the application process and when to expect your Check results.

Your information

During verification, your employer can only see your Check status. No information regarding your criminal or work history will be shared.