• Decrease font size
  • Increase font size
  • Print Page
  • Print to PDF

For parents

People who work with my kids 

Anyone who works face-to-face with your child must have a Working With Children Check clearance (or a completed application in progress), unless they qualify for an exemption. It does not matter whether they are paid, volunteering or self- employed.

This includes people that you may personally engage to work directly with your children, such as:

  • au pairs and nannies (except privately arranged babysitting)
  • tutors
  • sporting coaches
  • music teachers.

Verify clearances online

If you directly engage a person in child-related work, you need to verify their Working With Children Check number online before they commence work.

The process to verify a person online is quick and simple:

  • Visit the verification page for individuals
  • Enter your details in the form
  • Enter in the workers family name, birth date, Working With Children Check number or Application number.
  • Click the Submit button at the bottom-right of the page
  • You will receive an email (or a letter if you do not provide an email address) with the status of that person's Working With Children Check (e.g. "Cleared", "Barred" or "Not found").
  • Visit the Employer Verification page to see what each possible status means

Please note if a person is barred, interim barred or not found then you cannot engage them in child-related work.

Do I need a check?

As with other state and territory models, the NSW Working With Children Check allows parents to volunteer in activities that involve their own children without needing a Check. However, this is NOT a blanket exemption for all parent volunteers. If the work is part of a formal mentoring program or involves the intimate personal care of children with a disability, the parent volunteer must get a Check.

There are only two exemptions for parent volunteers:

  1. Volunteering by a parent or close relative of a child in activities for the child's school, early education service or other educational institution
  2. Volunteering by a parent or close relative, with a team, program or other activity  in which the child usually participates in or is a team member

If the volunteering work fits either of these descriptions, the parent does not need to get at Check. For more information, see the Child Protection (Working with Children) Regulation 2013.