• Decrease font size
  • Increase font size
  • Print Page
  • Print to PDF

Proof of identity - what you will need

The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) has imposed new proof-of-identity requirements for anyone applying for or renewing their Working With Children Check. ACIC requires these higher standards to minimise the risk of identity theft and to further protect the safety of children. These changes came into effect on 1 December 2019.

Once you have completed your application online, you will still need to take your email receipt along with the necessary proof of identity documents to a Service NSW centre to finalise your application or renewal. You can either print out your application email receipt or just show the receipt on your phone. If you didn't provide an email address you will need to print the receipt that was on your screen immediately after lodging the application. 

Note: There is an alternative proof of identity process available for authorised carers (foster carers) and their adult household members who are unable to attend a Service NSW centre. Further information on the alternative proof of identity process.

The identification documents you provide must be original, hard copy documents and must include at least one photo ID.

The combination of the identity documents collected must contain the applicant’s:

  • Full name (first, middle and family name)
  • Date of birth
  • Photograph

Types of document you will need

  • One commencement of identity document (such as birth certificate)
  • One primary use in the community document (such as driver licence)
  • Two secondary use in community document (such as Medicare card and bank card)

Commencement of identity documents

Provide one of the below (first, middle and family name):

  • Full Australian birth certificate (not an extract or birth card)
  • Current Australian passport (not expired)
  • Australian Visa current at the time of entry to Australia as a resident or tourist supported by current overseas passport*
  • Current ImmiCard issued by Department of Home Affairs (previously the Department of Immigration and Border Protection) that enables the cardholder to prove their visa and/or migration status and enrol in services*
  • Current certificate of identity issued by Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) to refugees and non-Australian citizens for entry to Australia
  • Current document of identity issued by DFAT to Australian citizens or people who have the nationality of a Commonwealth country for travel purposes.
  • An Australian naturalisation or citizenship document (including Citizenship by Descent) issued by the Department of immigration and Border Protection.

* If you don’t have evidence of your current visa contact the Australian Department of Home Affairs https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/

Primary use in the community documents

Provide one of the below (must have your first and family name)

  • Current Australian driver licence, learner permit or provisional licence issued by a state or territory, showing a signature and/or photo and the same name as claimed
  • Current passport issued by a country other than Australia supported by your current Australian visa document
  • Current proof of age or photo identity card issued by an Australian Government agency in the name of the applicant, with a signature and photo
  • Current shooters or firearms licence showing a signature and photo (not minor or junior permit or licence)

Secondary use in the community documents

Provide two of the below (one document must include family name and your first given name in full)

  • Current Medicare card
  • Current security guard or crowd control photo licence
  • Evidence of current right to an Australian government benefit (Centrelink or Veterans’ Affairs). Card or interim letter are suitable evidence, statements will not be accepted.
  • Current consular photo identity card issued by DFAT
  • Current photo identity card issued by the Australian Defence Force
  • Current Police force ID card issued to an officer by a police force
  • Current Australian tertiary or secondary student photo identity document (if it does not have an expiry date and has only issue date, accepted up to two years from the date of issue)
  • Academic transcript from an Australian university up to 12 months from date of issue
  • Current credit or account card issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International displaying the applicant’s family name and first name in full and signature
  • State or territory government rates assessment notice up to 12 months old
  • Australian Utility bill showing the applicant’s name and address up to 12 months old
  • Bank statement or letter up to 12 months old, issued by a bank, building society, credit union, American Express or Diners Club International including the applicant's family name and first name in full, account number or account type, and financial institute letterhead or financial institute branch stamp.

Note: to use more than one bank or credit card as a secondary use in the community document, the cards must be from different institutions.

If you do not have access to the types of documents listed above, please contact our customer services team by calling 02 8219 3777 or going to our Contact us page.

Legitimate reasons do not include:

  • You find the proof-of-identity process inconvenient or time-consuming
  • You do not understand the identity requirements: contact us and we will help you understand what is required
  • You have lost or damaged your documents, or they have expired: you will need to replace or renew them first or use alternative documents

Note: If you were born in Australia and do not have a commencement document, please obtain a birth certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state or territory where you were born (unless you have evidence that your birth was not registered).

Name change

All forms of ID documentation provided must include the applicant’s full name. If documents using a former name are provided, evidence of the name change must be included in addition to the four ID documents. These can include:

  • A change of name certificate issued by Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • An Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory (church or celebrant-issued certificates are not accepted)
  • Deed Poll