Authorised carers and adult household members
Authorised carers and their adult household members are required to hold a NSW Working With Children Check.
Adults who reside where a home based education and care service or family day care service is provided, must also hold a NSW WWCC clearance or have a current application for a clearance.
Household members who stay regularly, but not full time (e.g. several nights a week) still require a Check.
Authorised carers and adult household members are not required to pay for a Working With Children Check.
There is allowance, at the discretion for the Children’s Guardian, to grant permission for a child on turning 18 to continue living in their existing care home without a Working With Check Clearance. Where a child, who was in out-of-home care before turning 18 years old, is refused a WWCC clearance, they can apply to the Children’s Guardian for ‘continuing residence approval’ so that the young person can continue to live in their home.
This can only be given if the Children’s Guardian is satisfied that an appropriate risk mitigation strategy is in place to maintain the young person in the current care placement.
Living interstate or unable to get to a Service NSW Centre
There are special arrangements for authorised carers and adult household members of authorised carers who live interstate to apply for a check outside NSW.
The Office of the Children’s Guardian has developed a WWCC identity verification process to assist the following applicants:
- NSW authorised carers who live interstate
- adult household members of NSW authorised carers who live interstate
- incapacitated NSW authorised carers and their adult household members, and persons who reside at a home where a home based education and care service or family day care service is provided.
How to apply
- To complete the WWCC Proof of Identity form, you will need the following: 1. A Working With Children Check application number, which is provided when you complete an online application or phone application for the WWCC and consent to having the Check completed
- Check the proof of identity requirements and fill in the Proof of identity form (PDF 876KB)
- Certified copies of identification documents. Identification documents must be copied (DO NOT SEND ORIGINALS) and certified according to Schedule 2 of the Statutory Declarations Regulations 2018.
View a list of people who can certify documents.
- Medical certificate (if required). People who are incapacitated and physically incapable of getting to a Service NSW Centre are required to provide a medical certificate to that effect, that has been issued within the last 6 months by a registered medical practitioner.
Please do not post original documents. The certified copies of identification documents and medical certificates (if required) can be posted or emailed, along with the completed WWCC Proof of Identity form to:
Customer Service Team
Office of the Children’s Guardian
Locked Bag 5100, Strawberry Hills NSW 2012
Or email: CHECK@kidsguardian.nsw.gov.au