MaintenanceIn the lead-up to the 2019 state election, the department’s website and other channels will operate in line with the caretaker conventions. This means there will be limited updates from 1 March 2019 until the election is finalised.

NSW caretaker period has commenced.

The caretaker period for the NSW Election commenced on 1 March 2019. Accordingly, no ministerial press releases or related information issued by the Government from 1 March 2019 will be available on this website.

For copies of recently issued ministerial press releases or information on the election policies of any political party, go to the website of the relevant political party.

Find out more about caretaker conventions

Tutors and private coaches of children are required to have a Working With Children Check

Parents check the Check

In June 2013 legislation changed, requiring people working or volunteering with children under 18 years to have a Working With Children Check.

The legislated phase-in for existing employees and volunteers in education took place between 1 April 2016 and 31 March 2017. This included people working in private tuition and coaching - many of whom are self employed. This sector will now be subject to the Office of the Children's Guardian compliance program.

What does this mean for parents?

Parents engaging tutors for their children should be asking the tutor to provide a Working With Children Check application or clearance number - then verifying that number online.

Verifying a clearance online is quick and easy, and ensures that a Working With Children Check clearance is current.

The Certificate for Self Employed People from the old Working With Children Check system is no longer be valid.

Parents who used the services of a private tutor or coach have an important role to play in helping to keep their children safe. This includes spreading the word to other parents about the importance of checking the check.

Please share on Twitter and other social media using #parentscheckthecheck

© Copyright Crown in right of the State of New South Wales