Listening to children and young people
Participation is an integral component of being a Child-safe Child-friendly organisation. If kids’ participation is not valued and facilitated in an organisation, children and young people are unlikely to speak up about experiences of feeling unsafe.
- Understanding the importance of enabling and promoting the participation of children in activities, events and decision-making about issues that affect their lives.
- Actively facilitating the participation of children and young people
- Creating an environment and supporting skill development to facilitate children’s participation.
- Involving children and young people in making decisions about policies, programs and services
Taking participation seriously
- Demonstrates your commitment to upholding the rights of children
- Provides you with the opportunity to check that what you are doing is actually what children want;
- Strengthens the commitment of children to your organisation
- Builds the leadership skills of children and
- Enhances the safety of children