Contact us

Exemptions from the Working With children Check

There are specified exemptions from the Working With Children Check.  People covered by these exemptions are not required to have a Working With Children Check.  The exemptions are:

  • Children (under the age of 18)
  • Volunteering by a parent or close relative (except where the work is part of a formal mentoring program or involves intimate, personal care of children with a disability):
    • with the child's school, early education centre or other educational institution
    • with a team, program or other activity in which the child usually participates or is a team member
  • Administrative, clerical, maintenance or ancillary work not ordinarily involving contact with children for extended periods
  • Very short term work:
    • A worker who works for a period of not more than a total of 5 working days in a calendar year, if the work involves minimal direct contact with children or is supervised when children are present
    • As a visiting speaker, adjudicator, performer, assessor or other similar visitor for a one off occasion, in the presence of one or more other adults
  • Informal domestic work (not on a professional / commercial basis)
  • Work only with close relatives (except as an authorised carer)
  • Co-workers and supervisors where a child works
  • Interstate visitors:
    • can work or volunteer at a one-off event such as a jamboree, sporting or religious event or tour, for up to 30 days a year without a NSW Working With Children Check
    • can work or volunteer in any child-related work for up to 30 days a year, if the person holds an interstate Working With Children Check, or is exempt from the requirement to have such a check in his or her home jurisdiction
    • health practitioners working in NSW from outside the State for up to five days in any three month period
    • FACT SHEET: Overseas applicants (PDF 105.7KB)
  • Home carers with a current police certificate for aged care where the clients are not primarily children
  • NSW Police or Australian Federal Police officers in the role of police officer
  • Private practice health practitioners who do not ordinarily treat children without other adults present

Part 2 of the Child Protection (Working With Children) Regulation 2013 also gives specific instances of work that is not child-related (which means it will not require a Check). 

© Copyright Crown in right of the State of New South Wales

Powered by elcomCMS